How we identify individual special educational learning needs

  • When pupils have identified SEND before they start here, we work with the people who already know them and use the information already available to identify what their SEN will be in our school setting.
  • If you tell us you think your child has a SEN we will discuss this with you and check it out– we will share with you what we find and agree with you what we will do next and what you can do to help your child
  • If our staff think that your child has a SEN this may be because they are not making the same progress as other pupils; they may not be able to follow instructions or answer questions for example. We will observe them; we will assess their understanding of what we are doing in school and use tests to pinpoint what is causing difficulty. (what is happening and why)

How we involve pupil and their parents/carers in identifying SEN and planning to meet them

  • We are child and family centred  so you can expect “no decision about me without me”
  • When we assess SEN we will discuss with you if understanding and behaviour are the same at school and home; we take this into account and work with you so that we are all helping your child in the same way and helping them make progress
  • Where appropriate we will write and review provision maps.
  • We use homework to repeat and practice activities that are new and presenting a challenge to a pupil

How we adapt the curriculum so that we meet SEN

  • All our staff are trained to make materials and ‘work’ easier or more challenging so that every child is able to learn at their level
  • We use additional resources so that we have something at the right level for pupils with SEN. We use Read Write Inc, 1:1 phonics, Reading Intervention, Hot Spot readers, Direct phonics and Wolf Hill for reading; small group work, write dance for writing; Numbers count for maths; Blast, Looking and Listening and Social Use of Language for language and communication; SEAL for personal, social and health

How we modify teaching approaches

  • All our staff are trained in the a variety of approaches which means t we are able to adapt to a range of SEN:- specific learning difficulties (including dyslexia); Autistic Spectrum Condition; speech, language and communication needs; and behavioural, social and emotional difficulties and Attachment difficulties.
  • We are a dyslexia friendly school
  • We use a number of approaches to teaching including ability setting, small group work and 1:1 support.
  • We are an Attachment friendly school.

How we assess pupil progress towards the outcomes we have targeted for pupils. How we review this progress so that pupils stay on track to make at least good progress. (including how we involve pupils and their parents/carers)

  • We use P scales and PIVATS to assess progress that is in smaller steps and at a slower pace than the usual national curriculum
  • We use nationally agreed guidelines on progress to check that this is good enough
  • We check how well a pupil understands and makes progress in each lesson
  • Our senior leadership team check the progress of pupils every term (more often if progress is slow) and we discuss what we are doing to make sure pupils make good progress (is there anything else we can do?)
  • For pupils with SEN teachers discuss progress with parents every term or more often if we believe this will help

What equipment or resources we use to give extra support

  • We use workstations; picture timetables; support for communication; countdown timers for pupils who need it

What extra support we bring in to help us meet SEN:- services; expertise

How we work together collaboratively

  • We have support from specialist teachers/support staff for accessing the curriculum and extra work on SEND related needs (speech, language and communication; hearing impairment; visual impairment; behaviour related needs; severe learning difficulties; autism)
  • We get support from local authority services.
  • We get support from speech and language therapy (SaLT)  to train our staff; advise on strategies and programmes; we refer pupils for assessment if we believe they need a period of therapy, we have an onsite Speech therapist 1 day per week
  • We get support from occupational therapy for pupils who need assessment for special seating
  • We get support from physiotherapy for pupils who need it
  • Together we review the pupil’s progress; agree what everyone will do to make teaching more effectivelearning easier  and our target for the pupil’s achievement; how we will work together; what we will each do; at an agreed date will review how well the pupil is doing and if we are making difference, and what we need to do next. We include the pupil and the parent in these discussions

What other activities are available for pupils with SEN in addition to the curriculum

  • We have a number of before and after school activities pupils with SEN are included
  • We have regular educational visits and residential. Pupils with SEND are always included in these. We choose visits that are accessible to all

How we support pupils in their transition into our school and when they leave us

  • Visits to school and to high schools
  • Transition programmes 1:1 for those that need it
  • Meetings with relevant professionals

How additional funding works

  • Schools receive funding for all SEN pupils and they provide what pupils need from this (including equipment). The local authority may contribute to very expensive items
  • If a pupil’s statement identifies something that is significantly different to what is usually available, there will be additional funding allocated. Parents will have a say in how this is used. You will be told if this means you are eligible for a personal budget. This must be used to fund the agreed plan.

Where pupils can get extra support

  • Your views are important to us and it is important that people listen to them and that you are satisfied with what happens.

Where parents/carers can get extra support

  • The Parent/carer forum is called Family Voice. This is an umbrella organisation for all organisations in Rochdale. They can provide information, training and support. They are involved in policy and decision making at the level where we are working on all things at ‘Rochdale’ level.

What to do if  you are not satisfied with a decision or what is happening (for parents)

  • Your first point of contact is always the person responsible – this may be the class teacher; the SENCo or the headteacher. Explain your concerns to them first. If you are not satisfied that your concern has been addressed speak to the head teacher then ask for the school governors representative.
  • If your concern is with the local authority, follow a similar path. The person who will log and track your complaint is:
  • The local authority has a panel of senior managers who consider unresolved issues – we call this the Escalation and Resolution Panel. They will offer you an independent mediator if you are still not satisfied. This person will act as a mediator in a meeting with the person you need to reach an agreement with
  • The Parent partnership Service provide independent information and advice